You have probably heard that “Breakfast is the most important meal of the day.” Yet, many people still start the day without it! Here are just a few of the benefits of breakfast:
- Weight Control: Skipping meals can slow ones metabolize and promote fat storage. Breakfast skipping has actually been linked to higher obesity rates. Eating a healthy breakfast can decrease snacking later in the day and help keep portions smaller at lunch and dinner.
- Academic improvement: There have been several studies that have shown that children who eat breakfast have higher attendance records and do better academically in school.
- Energy and concentration: Eating breakfast can give you the energy you need to make it through your morning. If you don’t fuel your body in the morning, you might see your concentration falter and your productivity decrease.
So, what should you eat for breakfast? A combination of a lean protein (lean meat, low-fat dairy, eggs) and a fiber-rich food (fruits, vegetables, whole grains) can be yummy and satisfying. Try these ideas:
- Egg beaters and frozen veggies cooked in the microwave for 1 -1.5 minutes.
- Hard boiled eggs and fresh fruit
- A low-fat cheese stick and an apple
- ½ of a whole wheat bagel with low-fat cream cheese and black beans
- Plain, fat-free Greek yogurt with 1T sugar-free jelly
- Leftover chicken and vegetables from last night
- 1 whole wheat English muffin with 1T peanut butter and ½ of a banana
This record has been viewed 1024